Bindery / Conservation Technician
A full-time open-ended position is available at Big River Bindery, LLC in Atlanta, GA. This is an entry level position with room for growth. The job is an opportunity to receive training and gain experience in the conservation and preservation of books and paper, and the construction of new bindings and archival boxes.
Big River Bindery, LLC has operated in Atlanta, GA for the past 5 years, after relocating from Davenport, Iowa. We perform conservation treatments on bound materials and documents from the 17th to 21st century. We also bind small editions of new printed materials and make archival boxes and enclosures. The bindery is owned and operated by Andrew Huot.
The start date for this position is flexible, late July to early August 2021 as mutually convenient; the position will remain open until filled.
– Clean, organize, and maintain studio space and equipment.
– Track workflow for projects in the shop.
– Prepare materials for conservation treatments and new bindings: cutting paper, leather, and cloth to size, toning papers, lining materials, and cutting boards.
– Perform conservation treatment processes including surface cleaning, lifting original material, cleaning and relining spines, tear repair and filling of losses, tape and adhesive removal, spine replacement, humidification and flattening.
– Perform binding processes including folding and pressing sections, punching and sewing, gluing and lining, making cases, and casing in.
– Produce written and photographic documentation.
– Pack finished materials for shipping.
– Other duties as assigned.
Required experience and qualifications:
– Evidence of meticulous attention to detail, a sense of craft, and manual dexterity.
– Ability to perform unsupervised accurate work to stated standards.
– Ability to accept correction/criticism of work.
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills,
– Professional, discrete, and focused.
– Previous experience with conservation treatments.
– Previous experience making handmade books
– An understanding of book structures.
– An understanding of office and design software.
The job starts at $15 per hour for a 37.5 hour week, two weeks paid vacation, but no health insurance.
Contact Andrew Huot at email@example.com for questions or to submit application materials.
– Letter of interest and availability. Please describe your hands-on experience with handmade books or conservation.
– Names and contact information for 3 professional references who have knowledge of your attention to detail and working methods.
Review of candidates begins May 20, 2021.
If candidates move beyond the first round of interviews a portfolio of bookbinding, repairs, or other handmade items will be requested.